- Liquid, Jungle, Oldskool n ting (fortnightly) ... Brandon Carl Vedas (April 21, 1981 – January 12, 2003), also known by his nickname ripper on IRC, of Phoenix, Arizona, United States, was a computer enthusiast, recreational drug user and member of the community who died of a multiple drug overdose while discussing what he was doing via chat and webcam.
While some of the substances were illicit, most of them had apparently been obtained through legitimate prescriptions for treatment of various illnesses from which Vedas was said to have suffered.
Vedas then began consuming psilocybe mushrooms, which had been stored in a prescription medication bottle.
As the chat session progressed, one of the users in the channel, grphish, noted “that's a lot of klonopin” and this is thought to be when Vedas consumed 8 mg of clonazepam.
Vedas continued by showing the webcam viewers what would be one of four bottles of methadone that he would consume over the course of the session, and, after noting this on the channel, proceeded to consume an entire bottle (reportedly 80 mg of methadone).
After a brief respite, Vedas then consumed 110 mg of propranolol (Inderal), two Vicodin tablets, and 120 mg temazepam, which seem to have been taken in between descriptions given on the IRC channel.
During this process, Vedas maintained that this was "usual weekend behavior" for him and that he had consumed similar quantities of the same substances on previous occasions.
"I told u I was hardcore" was one of the last things Vedas typed, a phrase often quoted sarcastically on internet message boards and discussion sites.
Upon consuming the remainder of the original batch of drugs from the beginning of the webcam session, Vedas began to retrieve and prepare to consume even more drugs that he had stashed throughout the room.
It was at this point that the users of the channel began to voice their concerns that Vedas was taking things too far.
Some pleaded with him to stop while others recommended that he seek immediate medical attention.
After taking another large quantity of the same drugs he had already ingested, Vedas gave instructions that if anything were to go wrong, that they should try to contact him by calling his cell phone, and if that did not work, they should call the local authorities and give them the license plate number of his car, which was parked in his driveway and could easily be seen from the street.